google search: Uganda dance

Thursday, August 5, 2010

Off we go - second leg of the journey

We are now off to our place of assignments.  Here are the rest of my provisions:

My crash helmet.  VSO is very strict about wearing helmets on motorbikes - whether as a passenger or driver.  I would rather be the driver, but on favorable roads and orderly traffic.

My blanket, pillow, mosquito net and medical kit.
















Some of the employers (the organizations who have requested for volunteers) have traveled almost 12 hours to pick-up their volunteers.

I found it heart-warming when one employer upon seeing Jacent, a Filipina volunteer, politely asked if she could first touch her hair.  In my usual spontaneous reaction, I asked why... and the employer said that she wanted to get the feel of a soft, long hair - because the African hair is usually short or plainly braided and wiry. 

However, there are some African women who sport long and multi-colored braided hair or bouncy curls.  I was told that this is the current hair fashion among African women... it is called an extender.  It is actually a natural or synthetic hair that is strongly attached to their natural hair -  unlike a removable wig.  It takes almost an hour to have this done, and the set stays for around 3 months. 


These are 2 volunteers leaving for faraway Kabale, south of Uganda... about 8 hours travel by land.  I understand that Kabale is sometimes referred to as the Switzerland of Africa because of its landscape and cool weather.

My next posting will be about my trip to the north of Uganda - my final destination.

1 comment:

  1. Lots of luck as your volunteer work gets under way!!! Love the red crash helmet! Hehehe

    ReplyDelete