google search: Uganda dance

Sunday, August 8, 2010

I saw these on the road

People who know me back home and who have been reading my blog are quite curious about the kind of work that I will do in Gulu.  My postings on that one would have to wait for sometime.  As they say, the joy is the journey, and not the destination.

The main road that leads to Gulu is called Kampala road, and these were the unique sights that I saw on the way.  The yellow jerry jugs -  these are actually water containers that people either hand carry or put them in their bikes.  Imagine how people in this part of the world go for long distances under the scorching rays of the equatorial sun  just to fetch water.




Women and girls with head-borne goods.   The thing that makes this unique to me is that it is a common sight and the ease and gracefulness by which they carry the load.  Fashion models and performers (dancers) who have balancing acts to do on their heads can very well learn from African women.  I wonder why I have not seen African men carry load this way.   I have not been fortunate enough to take a shot, but the women could also have an infant strap in her back, with goods on her head, and walk a distance.



Finally, I saw these baboons, just crossing the road oblivious of our vehicle.  It is as if they know that they have the right of way.  Or are those stripes on the road meant for them to use in the same way that we, humans, recognize pedestrian lanes?
 

2 comments:

  1. Hello Eve,

    since the day i learned from charlie that you could be going to Uganda as a bahaginan volunteer i have been AWEstruck! in four years time i will be 70, di na siguro puede mag-volunteer, although now and then I would kid Malou P. na pipila na ako sa office niya.

    thanks for continuing to share your thoughts and feelings as can be gleaned from the pictures. and thanks for the inspiration and Grace!

    Love and blessings, elin

    ReplyDelete