google search: Uganda dance

Sunday, August 15, 2010

A Catholic mass in Gulu, Uganda

Today is the 15th of August.  It is the feast day of our Lady of the Assumption, the patron saint of my hometown.  Since I can remember, our family always attended the mass and/or celebration.

In Gulu, I went to the Holy Rosary Church, which is a short distance from where I live. This church
was built by the Comboni missionaries (www.combonimissionaries.org and www.youtube).


The parish priest was Fr. Eugene (or Italian equivalent)  Leso and he gave me a very brief history of his family back in Verona.  He allowed me to take his picture with a request that I should give him a printed copy so he can send to his sister in Italy.  He officiates the mass in English but there are other mass schedules in the native language, Luo.

I was in total admiration of how the parishioners come to church.  Young men and women, children, older men and women wear their Sunday best.  Very clean and well pressed attire, and shiny shoes.

I am making this observation to make a contrast to the parishioners who attend Sunday mass around our area in Ortigas Center.  Most of them are dressed to explore the shopping malls, and just dropped by for the service either before, in-between, or after shopping. 

4 comments:

  1. The SVDs or Divine Word Missionaries are not in Uganda but thanks for the info that the Comboni Missionaries are. Those two are very close congregations. Their founders were canonized same year. In the Philippines both are involved with Mission magazines. The Combonis here produce "World Mission" whereas the SVDs used to put out "Mission World." I'm glad for you that the Combonis are in charge of Holy Rosary Church. I went to Christ the King tonite for the special liturgy on Our Lady of the Assumption. The whole service which was quite participatory lasted almost two hours.But it was most inspiring and edifying.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a coincidence. Your experience today is similar to the experience I had today and described in my next post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Greetings... I've volunteered here for the last three months. I like your blog so far! Keep it up. I too love the Catholic Church here- the music! feel free to contact me: christinemariecarlson@gmail.com
    or my blog at http://advocacynet.org/wordpress-mu/ccarlson/

    yours,
    Christine

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Eve. Belated happy birthday. It's my b-day today, am turning 60, and I'm retiring end of Aug.!!

    Thanks for sharing your pictures. You look good and it seems you adapted easily amid a very different culture and environment. I so admire you for taking the drastic change you made in your life. I wish you all the luck in your new and noble endeavor. I wish you good health and pls. take care of yourself.

    We miss you.
    Chato

    ReplyDelete