google search: Uganda dance

Thursday, November 1, 2012

No yellow ribbons

Touching in its simplicity.
The journey of a volunteer does not end when one completes the placement.  There are many preparations for coming home – psychological and physical.
My first glimpse of Africa:  July 2010 Entebbe International airport
My last glimpse of Africa:  August 2012, Addis Ababa International airport
I am a person who needs a lot of priming especially for major events.  I left my job 1 ½ months before my departure for Africa to complete my preparations.  Coming back,  I spent almost a month of nomadic life before arriving at my final and permanent destination.
July 2010:  Family send-off  Aquino (Manila) International airport
Not that I expected a grand welcome with streamers, bands, and a busload of welcoming party but arriving at the Manila airport at midnight was definitely not warm.
August 2012:  They've grown tall while I shrank!
That’s what the wandering did for me, downscaled expectations at arrival.  The sight of my two sons picking me up at the airport was joy enough. At home, Charlie displayed his creativity.
Satisfied - two years of longing for corned beef, dried fish, and lots of rice!
but I look different a few weeks ago in Uganda
with the Mary Queen of Peace school children
with the VSO staff
with the Gulu District Office staff
T. S. Eliot best described the irony of an end being a beginning:  
"We shall not cease from exploration/ And the end of all our exploring/ Will be to arrive where we started/ And know the place for the first time".  (Fractal Time,  Gregg Braden) 

No comments:

Post a Comment