google search: Uganda dance

Wednesday, October 24, 2012

A final fling with Africans

I manned this shop to earn my coffee
It was time to say goodbye to the guide I brought from Gondar to Axum.  For many days, we were constantly bickering over his habit of not finishing the food he ordered.  I told him that there are many people (including his fellow Ethiopians) who are starving, and yet he wastes food.
Me and my guide
Towards the end of our travels, he would clean-up his plate and call my attention to it.  He said that he could not thank me enough for giving him the opportunity to travel around Ethiopia, and the education that he received along the way.  He says that even his family and friends could not believe his good fortune.  I gave him a handsome bonus which I hoped would help him partly finance his school fees.   

See the thread on his ears?  He also uses the door knob as bobbin.  

There was also this gentle old man who is a tailor.  He is 70 years old (in modern times or 62 years old in Ethiopian calendar) who asked me to drop by his shop everyday for coffee.  Oh, I love the old man who uses his left ear lobe as a bobbin for the thread of his sewing machine. 
I enjoyed his company
He sews traditional Ethiopian clothing
I had an unforgettable experience of taking a domestic flight that operates like a bus.  To return to Manila, I took  a plane from Axum to Addis Ababa, the capital,  without knowing that the plane makes brief stop-overs in each of the places that I had been to:  Lalibela, Bahir Dar, Gondar and finally Addis. 
Tried riding in the badjas....
Ethiopia has 17 domestic airports and the Ethiopian Airlines  run these airports like a bus stop.  It was fun waiting inside the plane and watching while it loads and unloads passengers at all the airport stops.
and in a dressed-up donkey with blinders
I almost missed my plane to Manila.  I forgot the time while enjoying the food and having a drink too many at a Filipino friend's house while my things were still all over Uziel's (co-volunteer) house.  
We were strangers sharing a taxi.  It turned out, she, too was a VSO volunteer!
At the VSO office in Addis Ababa
But Uziel had all my stuff packed and ready for my pick-up on the way to the airport.  Nothing left behind.  Among the skills that a volunteer possess is the thoroughness in the art of personal packing.

Well, my boots are now clean and shiny.  Manila, here I come!
I arrive Manila after two years in Africa.  Coming home is another adventure.  
That's for the next post.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment