google search: Uganda dance

Wednesday, November 7, 2012

A price to pay for being away

My first dinner out... seafoods and seafoods.

The first thing I did when I entered our house for the first time was to look for the bathroom weighing scale.  I lost 25 pounds from the last time I weighed two years ago!
In my writing desk at home, time stood still.
In my toolshed, calendar was still July 2010
It is VSO’s policy to provide a homecoming allowance, the purpose of which is to help volunteers in re-settlement.  In my case,  I used the money to have my car fixed,  and replace personal small appliances that were broken because of non-use.
My car being towed
For 3 weeks the suitcases I brought home with me remained unpacked.  I wanted to make an audit first of the current state of domestic affairs.   And what did I know?

Well,  my car will not start and had to be towed to the shop.    It seemed that the car missed my tender loving care.      There was a pile of receipts, opened mails, and magazine subscriptions dated two years ago that were awaiting my disposition.   
No need for corporate clothes.  Have to go.
I had to be re-acquainted with the household.  I thought some of my personal things were misplaced, but just to find out later that I simply forgot where they were kept.    I was shocked at the clutter of abundance of things that I could live without for two years.  
The closet I left.  Nothing much to add.
I filled 3 jumbo garbage bags to my utmost delight.  I joined a garage sale, and donated what could not be sold.  Someone told me that exercise was good for the homing soul.
I look forward to the weekend when returning volunteers will have the traditional powwow.
Making the restaurant rounds.  Breakfast with ex-Citi buddies

No comments:

Post a Comment