google search: Uganda dance

Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Simien Mountains

The rare Gelada baboons 
The rare Walia Ibex
According to Homer, the Greek gods used to spend their vacation on the Simien Mountains playing chess.  For economic and safety reasons, I joined 2 Belgians to trek the mountains with the highest elevation of 4,260 meters.  I did not have the proper clothing because mountain trekking was not in my itinerary, but unplanned adventures are more fun. 
Three was a crowd
I hired a mule and a mule man so I can trek in style.  My phobia for horseback riding was overcome because I was taller than my mule, Mora.  Astride the mule, I was able to take pictures of the panorama,  open and hold my umbrella when it rains.  Mules are very good on 
Smile keeps the body warm
ascending terrain, but sometimes they get cold feet on a descent.  I had to watch out that my feet and head are not left behind hanging on bushes or branches of trees while my body goes with the obstinate beast.  On difficult or dangerous passes, I had to 
A different world up there
get off Mora's back and when it was time to ride again, Solomon, the mule man  would have to locate a rock where I can step on then he will put my left foot on the stirrup, then push my buttocks upward so I can saddle.  Riding Mora, I imagined that I now
My Mac smells of Mora, too
belonged to the mule-riding league of Don Quixote and Julius Cesar (after he was relieved from being flamen Dialis).  I asked Solomon if he could sing, "to dream the impossible dream" (ala Man from La Mancha) but unfortunately I ended up humming the song and the mule almost went berserk.
The children of Simien Mountains
The Greek gods pinched my nose and cheeks
Towards the end of my mule-riding experience an argument occurred between the guide and the scout.  The guide told me to bend backwards when the mule descends, while the scout said that I should bend forward.  I almost had my body cut into two.  
Our chef in parade
An umbrella is also useful to hide behind the bush

No comments:

Post a Comment