google search: Uganda dance

Thursday, August 9, 2012

Packing: a system failure

Adungo
I did not want to bring back home anything that I brought here to Uganda two years ago, but it was not easy.  I planned only to take the adungo (a harp typical in northern Uganda covered by goat skin) and brochures that could be useful in the VSO office in Manila. 
 Adungo and bag of documents inside the suitcase

It was a miracle that the adungo perfectly fitted into my suitcase. But I needed to pack it securely so some clothes had to be thrown in as backing.
Needed these stuff for backing

Finally,  the suitcase was fully stuffed with most of the brick-a-brack items that I brought from home plus some potatoes and avocado seeds for planting, and pebbles collected.  The suitcase (weighing 43 kgs.) was to be shipped so I can travel light.  Freight cost:   USD 200.00.
Same fully stuffed suitcase returning to Manila
I had resolved to live just with my rucksack, but it is better said than done.   I could not leave behind my favorite:   T-shirts,  pants, decent shoes, rugged boots, original Crocs sandals, hats, dental kits, lotion for the hands, legs, face, sets of lingerie, socks for sleeping and walking with boots, sewing kit, mosquito coil, umbrella, shampoo, vitamins, first aid kit,  and the 5Ps (passport, personal computer, plastic money, prayer book, passwords).  
Oh, what a material world.  I need another suitcase!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Ma'am, I hope to see you soon here in the Philippines. Allow me to thank you for sharing your wonderful adventures in Africa, as a volunteer, through this e-journal. You are definitely an inspiring person to follow. You always raise the bar, even in volunteerism, and for that CONGRATULATIONS! Take care always.

    ReplyDelete