google search: Uganda dance

Thursday, August 16, 2012

Parting can be funny

Children performing for me
Saying goodbye can be a tearful experience (especially for the sentimental Filipinos).  But here, I held back my sobs because it seems that the locals are not that demonstrative.
With officemates
The lighter moments were when someone offered to give me a live chicken to bring home.  Well, I told him that airlines allow only their airplanes to fly; no winged animals while airborne.
With the Little Sisters of the Mary Immaculate in Gulu
Another one gave me 10,000 Ugandan shillings.  It would have been understandable if it was for pocket money, but he told me to buy bgoya (bananas).  I did not know whether he wanted me to bring the bananas to the Philippines or share it with others.
With Filipinas in Kampala
But, on my last day at my accommodations,  I saw the gas stove was on fire while the rice that I was cooking was on the final stages of being done.  Someone came to do a quick-fix of the hose but it was not done properly as I could still smell the leak.
I taught them to use spoon.  See the wonderment.
Well, the devil was tempting me - to use the stove again to finish my cooking or just go hungry.  I chose the latter as I may not be so lucky the next time around and the cylinder could just explode.
With the VSO volunteers at the housing compound
Staff in VSO Uganda
I had happy memories during my last days in Uganda....and I have a very strong feeling that I will be returning for a visit.
Learning to write.  They need a little help from you and me

No comments:

Post a Comment