google search: Uganda dance

Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Simple pleasures

Susan at her new location.  We share a room.
As a volunteer who is not to impose on the locals, I learned of many ways to get my burning ideas across.  For example, I kept on harping how the new offices will be spacious and orderly, how desks will be free of clutter, and so
My new desk
on.  They probably believed me so they let me supervise the lay-out for the Finance
Alley of old office
Department - desks here, visitors chairs there, copier
Our new room, right
here, filing cabinets over there, computers and printers here and there.  The prize I got was one of the brand new desks and ergonomic chairs.  I showed them that I protect my desk from scratches and smudges and clear the top at the end of each day.  The power of example seems to be working and we get occasional
Look us up, Room No. 3
compliments on how our room should be the model for everyone. What I liked most during our transfer from the old offices was when the secretaries asked me if they can continue to put tablecloths on their old desks.
How it used to be
I just jokingly said that those tablecloths are for tables in restaurants.  And voila, the covers disappeared and the staff are now confident that exposed wooden desks can be beautiful.
Oh such simple pleasures.

No comments:

Post a Comment