google search: Uganda dance

Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Going (not giving) back

Kaunda grounds are like the green grass of home
Some people say that after retirement from their present occupation, they want to give back what society had given them.  If I were asked
District Hall
today, I'd say I'd like to go back to the circumstances of my childhood:   re-living the age of discovery - when it was always a joy to gain better understanding of things,  re-experiencing deprivation - confident that now, it
Town Plaza
is a matter of choice, seeing people make sacrifices and giving them hope and motivation that the natural course is for things to get better, not worse.   Strip Gulu of some of its modern infrastructures, then it
Pupils awaiting lunch
becomes the town of my childhood. Sometimes I feel that I am re-tracing my mother's footsteps when she was a public school nurse in far-flung rural towns.   But I am not worried because I saw her live long enough to enjoy her retirement from government service.
Will you find the airport with this sign?
I am going back in time when I know nothing of the insecurities that come with adulthood and the Greek's argument that humans are motivated by both appetite (pursuit of material goods), and spirit (self-esteem, respect).  As someone said, sometimes it is relaxing to be poor.  And I say - if you can afford it.

No comments:

Post a Comment