google search: Uganda dance

Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Heard in Africa - what's (watch) your language?

The rare white colobus monkey
Don't take offense when someone tells you You Come, Sit, Give me, Listen, Do this, Write, Bring.  It is not being impolite.  Please and Kindly or Excuse Me are not generally used and I understand these words have no equivalent in their local language.  But Thank You is commonly said and Welcome is expressed in the context of Come In. 
Ankole cattle on a pose
SMS is not popular as it is more expensive than talk time.  It is not rudeness when a phone conversation is abruptly ended;  the caller just ran out of air time.  I once overheard a conversation between
Let's learn to relax this way
a boda-boda driver and an elected town councilor.  It seemed that the driver would not take the councilor to her destination, so she asked..... and what do you think should your excellency do?

A lizard stalking
Once, I was looking for an acquaintance whom I have not seen for quite sometime.  I was told he is on a safari - an official trip.   Then I said, oh so having a holiday is an official business.
No, he is on safari.  That's when I learned that safari means journey, and an official one at that.
If anyone has not seen you for awhile, it is ordinary to greet you with You Were Lost.  When I was first greeted this way, I thought it was some kind of joke.  So in the usual American English rhetoric, I said Now I Am Found.... and shook his hand.  Had I been asked Where have you been, I would have given the traditional reply of Been to London to visit the Queen.
Those with brownish feathers are female weavers

No comments:

Post a Comment