google search: Uganda dance

Thursday, January 24, 2013

Bonding par excellence

Making up for lost time, Baler, Aurora
Picture perfect Puerto Galera
I took advantage of the Christmas school break to hijack my two sons from their father to explore Baler, in Aurora,  Lucena in Quezon province, and the island of Puerto Galera.  Having experienced tough travelling in Africa,  nothing could be worst, so I challenged myself to travel by bus in the Philippines.
Baler,  a surfer's  paradise
The Genesis Joy bus to Baler was non-stop, and had a pretty attendant on board who provided us with blankets and free snacks.  Although Baler is acclaimed as a surfing capital, 2nd only to Siargao, we rather enjoyed the seafoods from the hotel – very good value.  So why Baler?  Well, I was curious because almost every other person I had talked to recently had been there.
Hometown of U.S.A. Commonwealth President
Manuel L. Quezon (I've got a crush on him)
Christmas 2011,   Murchison  Falls, Uganda
Christmas day of 2011 found me on the road from the Murchison Falls to Kampala, Uganda to spend the rest of the holidays visiting the Filipino volunteers in the southwest. 
San Luis water falls, Aurora, Philippines
Christmas day of 2012, my sons and I were traveling back to Manila as there is no direct bus route from Baler to Lucena although to me, both their provinces appear contiguous in the map.  In Lucena, we had fun soaking ourselves in the hot springs of Mainit,  then enjoyed the food and the climb up the hill of Kamay ni Hesus in Lucban.  
300 easy steps to the top
A biblical paradise
The travel bug had bitten us hard and so we kept on.  We took another bus from Lucena to Batangas City to spend a few days in the island of Puerto Galera, Mindoro Oriental.   The waters and beaches of Puerto Gale did not disappoint us.  It is even possible now to make a return trip to Manila on the same day…. by bus and boat.
Port of Alexandria, Egypt, 2010
Puerto Galera, Philippines, 2012
White Beach, Puerto Galera, 2012
Spending New Year’s Eve in a beach resort with people who are away from home is a different experience for clannish and superstitious Filipinos like us.  We also broke family tradition by being on the road to Manila first thing on New Year’s day. 
2010 New Year's Eve, Red Sea, Dahab,  Egypt
2012 New Year's Eve, countdown,  Puerto Galera
It was a memorable Christmas holiday.  When I asked my sons if they enjoyed the trip with all its spontaneity and public commuting…..all they can say was “Sobra”, “Galing”.   It made my day.
Christmas 2010,  bus ride Israel to Egypt

Christmas 2012, bus ride to Puerto Galera, Philippines
Have a wonderful 2013 everyone!
2012 New Year's Eve

2 comments:

  1. I am always your biggest fan!!! Thank you so much Eve for sharing! You really inspire me how you enjoyed life to the fullest. Amazing! Adventure with your big sons... Ang Saya! Walang katulad!!! IDOL(: I am so proud of you.

    ReplyDelete