google search: Uganda dance

Wednesday, September 19, 2012

A Filipina VSO volunteer in Ethiopia

Uziel in action















I was mighty proud of her as I watched her teach 3 visually impaired students in a borrowed classroom at the  Addis Ababa University.  I was moved by the sight of 3 blind young men trying to get an education despite their disability.
Interaction
 Uziel was very patient with them and I could see that she was enjoying what she was doing.  She has a computer and was playing listening movies such as “The Beautiful Mind”.  She would play the audio and ask her students to paraphrase what they heard.  The exercise is to develop keen
Safely delivered to the ground
 listening skills.  The audio had to be replayed several times because the accent of the speakers are difficult to follow.  For example, mysteries was heard as mistress and we  had fun explaining to them what a mistress is. 
Gates of the Addis Ababa University
Billboard at the Uni campus
I also did my bit by telling the 3 students that I liked the harmony of the colors of the shirts that they were wearing and I described to them the colors.  When the class was over, Uziel had to guide all three of them to descend the stairs and out of the school building. 
Church of the Holy Trinity
Uziel is a volunteer whose placement is in Adwa (near Axum) in northern Ethiopia.  During the term break, she volunteered to teach special needs students in the capital city.
Church of St. George
When I visited Axum, I learned that many people (hotel guests, shop owners, Ethiopian airlines staff) know her.  Well, I was not  surprised because she calls herself Miss Friendship.   Ethiopian airlines staff remember her as their most important frequent flyer.
The Ethnological Museum, former palace of Haile Selassie
Just like the other Filipino volunteers in Uganda whom I visited in their accommodations, Uziel loves to cook.  She even made a cappuccino (minus the western appliances)  which was very addicting.  She boils fresh milk, puts some sugar and a little coffee
Bedroom of the Lion of Juda
 and stirs the mixture.  She pours the made coffee in a cup, adds the mixture and sprinkles the froth with chocolate.   Voila, you have the best cappuccino in Addis.
Dr. Gerry, Uziel and Eve
 While staying with Uziel,  I also met another Filipino VSO volunteer, Dr. Gerry, who works at the Yekatit Hospital.   I attended a Sunday mass at the Holy Saviour Church with Doc Gerry and I saw how popular he was with the Filipino churchgoers and the staff of eateries that he frequents.

Yekatit Hospital

I have not doubted my impression that the Filipino VSO volunteers I have met in Africa not only share their skills but also bring laughter and sunshine to the people around them.   May their tribe increase.
Seat of the Coptic Orthodox Church in Ethiopia.  The Patriarch lives there.
  

2 comments:

  1. There is no word to describe on how life changed after volunteerism. Being one like you, I had the most valuable experience in my former placement. shitifujon.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Eve!! Your blogs are so inspiring.. I would like to ask more information about the Filipinos you have met in Ethiopia.. Please let me know where I can email you. Thanks a lot!!

    ReplyDelete