google search: Uganda dance

Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Two years of DIY in Africa


With the accountants of Gulu District, Uganda
1.  I had not been to a beauty parlor.  I cut my own hair, did my nails and gave my feet a scrub.  I had to color my hair every fortnight as it easily fades because of the harsh sun or perspiration.
2.  My eyeglasses with the top of the line bifocal lens could not withstand the heat of the sun.  The coating of the lenses got bubbly that I am seeing raindrops even if it is bright and sunny.
3.  Never been to a dentist.  I did my regular dental floss and prophylaxis with the DIY (Do It Yourself) stuff that I brought.
4.  Never bought new clothes as those that I brought from home have not suffered wear and tear.
5.  All my socks had holes in the sole but I keep wearing them.  I don't have the habit of removing my shoes in public so no cause for accidental revelation.
6.  The soles of my two pairs of walking shoes are chiseled that I can already feel the pebbles that I am stepping on.  I will have to bring them to the rubbish bin soon.
7.  I enjoyed my home cooking alternating among vienna sausage, fried sardines and scrambled eggs.

I realized that I can live anywhere in the world with whatever can go into my rucksack.  The essentials are the 5Ps - passport, phone, plastic money, personal computer and prayer book.
My, this is a kind of freedom. 
I feel that my heart is light and pure.  I can grow and love more.  There is such a lot of living, thinking, and feeling to do.
Teaching good grooming
I am a child of the universe.  What a beautiful world.

No comments:

Post a Comment