google search: Uganda dance

Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Some African quirks


Hereditary teeth gap
In previous posts I mentioned about African dressing, their cooking, and hair grooming.  In this post are new things I have seen or heard.  The first time I
1 of 10 has it
saw the teeth gap (between the two front teeth), I thought right away that their parents had neglected the dental care during infancy until I was told that it is in the genes.    There is also the sickle cells, a chronic hereditary blood disease common among Africans or persons with African
Behind the speaker's back
descent.  The red blood cells are sickle-shaped caused by abnormal hemoglobin.  The person suffers from severe anemia and medical journals say that because of the shape of the cells, it gives them immunity to malaria.  Recently, there is also an outbreak of a so-called nodding disease that afflicts children in the north. The nature of the disease is still mysterious and research is ongoing to learn more about the phenomenon.  On the lighter side, it is not unusual to see people reading newspapers either in church (while waiting for the mass to begin) or in public functions (while speeches are being delivered).
Hoisted bottled water for sale to bus passengers
Well recently, I developed my own personal quirk.  Coke does not cool me down anymore under the heat of the sun.  I have shifted to drinking beer and it works fabulously.

No comments:

Post a Comment