google search: Uganda dance

Wednesday, August 24, 2011

What poverty?

My preference was to volunteer in my country but VSO did not have a home country program then.  So I got me packing for Africa to work for an organization whose corporate vision is a world without poverty.
So. Africa's Stanbic Bank
I wondered then what level of poverty awaits me because I have an urban view of poverty in my country - street beggars (whether legitimate or syndicate-controlled), slum areas, garbage scavengers in Smokey Mountain, rice and dried fish at each meal.
Used clothing market
When I arrived in Gulu, it was a town with several cell sites, almost everyone had a cell phone, people were generally well-dressed, there were several radio stations, banks, ATMs, hotels, hospitals, a university, a Catholic archdiocese, an airport, lush vegetation.  There were no beggars, scavengers and slums.
So I started looking for the enemy.
Where is that Poverty?
Cornfields

No comments:

Post a Comment