google search: Uganda dance

Wednesday, July 6, 2011

A hairy story

A lacy pleated natural hair
Hair grooming seems to be big business here.  I had often wondered why the African hair is problematic.  An infant starts with hair that is soft and straight.  But then nature takes its course.
Soft but curly
As the hair grows it begins to curl and becomes cotton-like in texture.  The curls get wound and the hair gets hard and turns into an
Well-groomed
impenetrable mesh.  I was told that no amount or kind of shampoo or conditioner could soften that hair.  So men go for frequent haircuts (up to skin head) as turbans are not for them. 
Stretched and relaxed
Hair pleating
Women, by nature, would always go for several options.  They can have their natural hair straightened, relaxed and trimmed or pleated or braided.  Using a wig is not common.  A popular choice is using extenders.  Human  or synthetic hair is sewn and glued into their natural hair and styled.
Back view of extenders
Stylish pleats
Turbans look better
Not to be forgotten is the traditional way, which is to hide the problematic hair with turbans.  But when women start wearing western clothing, the turban would seem out of place - but some can carry the eclectic style very well.  Once I saw a strand of a braided hair on the floor.  A colleague came rushing to claim it as she was going to put it back. Frankly, I like their look better in their natural hair.  When they start changing hair styles (which is often) I could hardly recognize them at once.  Whenever they see me run my fingers through my hair, I know that women secretly wish they could have the same mannerism.
Soft, shiny, spotless skin
But what they don't know is I actually envy the smoothness and softness of their skin.  Their arms and faces do not have blemishes.  Unlike mine, where the pores, black and white heads and hair follicles are visible and feel like sandpaper.

No comments:

Post a Comment