google search: Uganda dance

Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Send in the camels

As soon as the sun came out, we started to hike
At daybreak of Day-2 we started the hike to town with no idea how far it was.  It was again a beautiful morning.  You could hear the birds chirping but I wondered why swarms of flies were clinging to our clothes. No one was coming for us because the road was too soft for a motor vehicle. Had we been in a desert, some camels could be useful.
Hiking from nowhere to nowhere
Any water will do

"Bushing" the teeth
We made a few stops to wash our face in the creek, or look for that special bush that is commonly used as toothbrush.  After 4 hours of walking, we met the lorry that hauled us to town. I realized that we walked for 8 miles or around 13 kilometers and we would have walked another 2 hours if not for the lorry. By midday, the bus found us in town and brought us back to Gulu. Not too bad, as travelers from Uganda to Sudan could be stranded for 5 days.

Will this scene also inspire Fernando Amorsolo to paint?

Back to civilization
Be squeezed or be left behind
Getting in and out of the lorry had been difficult for me.  No one offered to help the women as they are expected to be as agile as the men.  I had to pause to get everybody's attention and hesitantly ordered the men and boys around me to give me a lift.  After all, I am a lightweight mazungu from a country where women expect to be pampered.
Mother and child with cargo were with us all the way

1 comment:

  1. What an adventure! I would have panicked big time if I were the one stranded in this place. Are you spending Christmas there Ma'am? Do they celebrate it?

    ReplyDelete