google search: Uganda dance

Wednesday, November 3, 2010

The fruit and vegetable vendors of Gulu

Just beautiful
They say that here in Uganda, anything you plant grows.  This is likely to be very true as can be seen from the pictures of the produce that ordinary folks bring to market - but there is little variety.  Everyone seems to grow all of the same - tomatoes, avocados, cabbage, eggplants, amaranth, Irish potatoes and beans. 

As the weather is very similar to Tagaytay, and Mindanao combined, I plan to have some other seeds (such as pechay, kangkong) brought here from the Philippines. 
Sacks and sacks of beans
There is sweet potato but they don't eat the leaves - and I plan to introduce them to it.

On fruits, there is an abundance of fresh pineapples, lemons, and bananas. 
Fried bananas for sale
But sad to say, these are the ones that I do not relish eating back home.  

Avocados are plentiful and of very good variety - and I eat them frequently.
A sea of bananas
Garlic is a rare commodity here. I passed by a store once to look for garlic and the storekeeper said that one glove is 200 Ugandan shillings.  Since I wanted one whole piece, she just assembled the gloves like a jigsaw puzzle, and sold the reconstructed piece for 1,000Ugs.  The next day, my friend Pius, (a co-vol from Kenya) dropped by and plucked the garlic.  He chewed some (he says it is for his high blood pressure), and pocketed the rest.  There goes the dear garlic.
Wanna buy assembled or knocked-down?
Pius seems to be dancing





2 comments:

  1. Their market reminds me of the olde one in my hometown in so. leyte, where vendors simply lay their goods along the sidewalk.

    How much does a kilo of avocado cost there? They're good for the heart. increases your HDL.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fruits and veggies here are not normally sold per kilo. One piece avocado, 500Ugx or Php10., 5 pieces tomatoes, 500Ugx. Thanks for your RX. I will eat more avocados.

    ReplyDelete