google search: Uganda dance

Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Elections in Uganda

A local candidate campaigning astride a boda-boda
The results of the presidential elections were known within 48 hours.  The incumbent president who has been in office for 25 years was re-elected again, which gives him 30 straight years by the end of his new (6th) term. 
Mobile platform (photo taken from a newspaper)
The announcement of the results was orderly since the media were informed that they should only broadcast what is released by the Electoral Commission.  I learned that after the President  was proclaimed winner many mobile phone subscribers (including some vols) got a recorded call from him thanking them for their support. 
Supporters show their numbers

It's yellow
I also learned that there are 3 more elections coming up - a few days after each other.  There is separate election for officials of the district, city, town, sub-county, parish and village representations.  
Presidential candidate Norbert Mao

Neutral color for peaceful elections
Gulu's district chairman was a presidential candidate - the first local councilor in Uganda to seek the presidency. I was privileged to be asked to take his picture in one event as I was the only one in the group with a camera.  The color of the dominant party is yellow and for me it was reminiscent of the colors of the funeral of Ninoy Aquino (1983), the Philippine People Power Revolution led by Cory Aquino (1986), and the recently concluded campaign of the new Philippine President-elect Noynoy Aquino (2010).  Colors of home indeed.
 
My daughter Mia campaigning for now President Noynoy Aquino
My Ugandan colleagues were proud to show me their thumbs with the indelible ink - proof that they exercised their right to vote.  I asked them that since they have 3 more elections immediately coming up, will a different finger be marked for each election?  They have no idea, and I will try to find out next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment